The Picture of Dorian Gray: chapter 1
1. Where does the scene take place?
2. Why doesn't Basil want to exhibit his picture?
3. Why doesn't Basil want Lord Henry to meet Dorian?
4. In what has Dorian changed Basil's life?
5. Quote from the text to show that Lord Henry Wotton enjoys paradox.
6. Quote from the text to show that Lord Henry Wotton enjoys cynicism.
7. 'Conscience and cowardice are really the same things, Basil.' What does Wotton mean?
8. Show the importance of decorative elements in this chapter.
9. What is their use?
10. What sentence from the text acts as a tragic foreboding?