The Picture of Dorian Gray: chapter 11
1. True or false? Justify by quoting.
He spends time looking at it as an intellectually and aesthetically interesting experiment.
3. Name eight stages/examples of Dorian’s quest for new/bizarre sensations. (p. 153-67).
Dorian needs to forget, to run away from himself.
The Picture of Dorian Gray: chapter 12
1. When does the action take place?
On the day before Dorian’s 38th birthday
2. Why did Basil want to meet Dorian?
He is going to Paris for six months and he has something to tell Dorian.
3. Why does Basil shake his head (p. 170)?
He disapproves of Dorian’s cynicism.
4. In your opinion, why did Dorian’s previous servant actually leave?
Maybe Dorian fired him because he knew or suspected something about him, or Dorian thought so.
5. What did Basil want to tell/ask Dorian?
He wanted to ask him if the rumours about him are founded.
6. What does Dorian decide to do?
To show Basil his picture.
The Picture of Dorian Gray: chapter 13
1. Note down an important sentence about Dorian and Basil's relationship (p. 178).
“You are the one man in the world who is entitled to know everything about me.”
2. How does Basil react? (p. 179)
He is horrified by what he sees, he even finds it difficult to believe.
3. How does Dorian react to Basil’s reaction? (p. 179-180)
Dorian reacts in a cynical way.
4. What solution does Basil suggest? (p. 181)
A moral conversion: that they should pray together for forgiveness and give up sin.
5. How does Dorian welcome the offer?
“It is too late.”
6. What does Dorian do to Basil?
He kills him.
Because he doesn’t want anybody to know his secret, or maybe because Basil painted the portrait.